Sunday, May 17, 2026
HomeCoronavirus'Palpable nonsense' - Boris Johnson criticised for latest cricket declaration

‘Palpable nonsense’ – Boris Johnson criticised for latest cricket declaration

The England and Wales Cricket Board and club cricket organisations have both scoffed at claims from Boris Johnson that the traditional tea is a factor delaying the game’s return at recreational level.

In a punchy response, cricket’s governing body insisted the game was as safe as other sports, such as tennis and golf, which are already back. Simon Prodger – the managing director of the National Cricket Conference, which acts as a voice for the club game – said Johnson’s remarks were “palpable nonsense”.

The prime minister’s latest doosra came when he was quizzed on LBC on Friday about why tennis was now allowed but not cricket, given that both use balls. “It’s a valid point,” he replied. “These debates have gone round and round. The longer answer, which I think probably Chris Whitty would give if he were here about cricket, the risk is not so much the ball, although that may be a factor.

“It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth,” the prime minister said. “There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis.”

It is the second time that Johnson has dashed hopes of a swift return to play. Last week he claimed that the ball was a “vector of disease” – on the same day that he announced the reopening of bars, cinemas and restaurants on 4 July – much to the puzzlement of those within the sport.

The ECB was quick to hit out at Johnson’s latest remarks, pointing out that it firmly believed it had accounted for all potential risks in its planning with the department of Culture, Media and Sport. “We believe that cricket is a non-contact sport, with very low risks of exposure, and that it can be played as safely as many other activities being currently permitted,” it said in a statement. “We believe this advice – allied with strict hygiene measures – means recreational cricket should be viewed as safe by the UK government, which would be welcome news to our nation’s recreational cricketers.”

A similar level of exasperation at the government’s position is being felt by club players, according to Prodger. “Clubs have already come to terms that the game when it returns will have to be played with no teas provided and with the players already changed – this is old stuff in the negotiations with the government.

“While there is no such thing as zero risk, playing cricket is a low-risk activity. Balls can be wiped at the end of the over and fielders can clean their hands with gel. I do wonder if Johnson is speaking to the DCMS at all.”

Source link


Discover more from PressNewsAgency

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

- Advertisment -