As flagged earlier this morning, former NSW deputy premier John Barilaro will today make another appearance in front of a parliamentary committee examining his appointment to an overseas trade role.
The committee has been examining how he got the role, which was created while he was the state’s trade minister, and which he secured after a senior bureaucrat at the state’s investment agency had already been identified as a preferred candidate.
Barilaro stepped down as senior trade and investment commissioner to the Americas less than two weeks after his appointment was announced in June.
During Monday’s appearance, he told the inquiry that he did not believe he had done anything wrong but regretted ever applying for the role.
“If I knew what I know now, I wouldn’t have walked into what was a shitshow,” he said.
“Because the trauma I have gone through the last six, seven weeks has been significant.”
Committee chair Cate Faehrmann, who is a Greens member of the NSW Legislative Council, says Barilaro has been asked back for further evidence.
“There are still questions that need to be answered about the transparency of the process of his appointment, as well as that of the other senior trade and investment commissioners,” she told reporters yesterday.
The committee has expanded the terms of reference for its inquiry and is now investigating the appointment of all the state’s trade commissioners.
Labor has pledged to abolish the roles if it wins the March state election.