NSW records 20,794 new Covid cases and Victoria 8,577, with seven deaths across both states; ACT reports 514 cases and Tasmania 466; Scott Morrison says health systems well equipped as Covid hospitalisations across the country rise; Greg Hunt says more RATs on the way as double-dose vaccination rate hits 91.5%; Josh Frydenberg grilled over rapid antigen tests. Follow all the dayâ€™s news
- Australiaâ€™s Covid positive test rate: why is it rising and what does it really mean?
- Britain got it wrong on Covid: long lockdown did more harm than good, scientist says
- What are the new rules on Covid isolation, close contacts and testing?
- Vaccine rollout tracker; cases and data tracker
- Download the free Guardian app; get our morning email briefing
Researchers in Antarctica are dealing with an outbreak of coronavirus despite being based in one of the worldâ€™s most remote regions.
Since 16 December at least 16 of the 25 polar researchers based at Belgiumâ€™s Princess Elisabeth Polar Station are now infected with the virus.