Billionaire Steve Cohen quits Twitter, citing threats in GameStop uproar

Billionaire investor Steve Cohen, seen by small investors as an enemy in the GameStop stock drama this week, deleted his account because of what he said were threats against him and his family, a spokeswoman said on Saturday.


“I am going to take a break for now,” Cohen said on late on Friday, citing “personal threats.” His account no longer appeared on Saturday, and a spokeswoman for Cohen’s Point72 Asset Management confirmed it was closed.



The small investors, connected on social media, mobilized to take on institutional short sellers of GameStop and other shares, sparking a short squeeze that sent those stock prices surging. The details of Cohen’s holdings were not disclosed, so it was unclear if he was a short seller.


However, Cohen’s Point72 and Citadel LLC gave a capital infusion to Melvin Capital, a fund that held a large short position in GameStop, enabling it to close out that position with a large loss and survive.


Cohen, who previously used largely to engage with fans of the New York Mets baseball team after he bought a majority stake last year, was among fund managers who received threats as the GameStop saga unfolded.

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor



Source link

Latest

Ginger Zee responds to parenting trolls: ‘Everyone’s village looks different’

Ginger Zee is biting back at parenting trolls.The ABC...

‘The Orville’ Season 3 episode 4 takes its world building to a new level

Warning: Spoilers ahead for "The Orville" season 3, episode...

A look ahead to the first Test at Galle

Adam Collins and Daniel Brettig are in Galle previewing...

KCR Opens T-Hub Second Phase, Says Telangana Wants to be Known as Startup State of India

Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao said the T-Hub was founded to bring the best talent from across the country to create a startup...

Dera Bassi firing: Mohali SSP orders FIR against sub-inspector, others

A day after a 24-year-old was shot in his leg by a police team, Mohali Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Vivek Sheel Soni, on...

Dinesh Vijan’s Maddock Films greenlights six new films starring Akshay Kumar, Tabu, Shraddha Kapoor, Vaani Kapoor and others! : Bollywood News – Bollywood Hungama

Dinesh Vijan’s Maddock Films is getting back into action with full force post the pandemic. Bollywood Hungama has exclusively learnt...