Cape Town: Family of four dies from smoke inhalation in Atlantis fire

A family of four tragically from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at their home in Atlantis, Cape Town in the early hours of Friday, 4 June.

ATLANTIS FIRE KILLS FAMILY, SAYS CITY OF CAPE TOWN

According to the City of Cape Town, a fire broke out at a dwelling in Geranium Crescent, Atlantis at approximately 3:45 on Friday. Emergency responders from Atlantis and Melkbos responded to the incident.

“Upon arrival crews were confronted with the dwelling alight and endeavoured to remove the occupants from the occupants from the house,” said the City.

Two women and one man were declared deceased on the scene as a result of smoke inhalation  and second man was in a critical condition. He was transported to the Westfleur Hospital, where, unfortunately, he also succumbed to his injuries.

The City said the fire was extinguished at 5:18 and the scene was handed over to the South African Police Service (SAPS) for further investigation.

SECURITY GUARDS DIE OF SUSPECTED SMOKE INHALATION

Two night security guards at the Groenkloof Nature Reserve in Tshwane died of suspected smoke inhalation on Wednesday.

The City of Tshwane said the guards were found dead in a storage shelter on Wednesday morning by a supervisor. It is believed that the men locked themselves in a storage shelter with an open drumfire, in order to keep warm,

“The guards were on night shift and the supervisor was in the process of posting the day shift team when he became aware of the two missing guards,” said Tshwane city spokesperson Lindela Mashigo. The case was reported to SAPS for investigation but no foul play is suspected.

Smoke inhalation harms the body by depriving it of oxygen. In particularly thick smoke – that contains toxic by-product – people can be asphyxiated in just 3 to 5 minutes, according to Arrive Alive.



Source link