China reports 59 new cases compared to 22 the day before; Sajid Javid will set out the details in winter Covid plan for England in on Tuesday
- LA officers sue over vaccine mandate as police across California threaten to resign
- Boris Johnson to confirm Covid booster jabs for over-50s in UK
- New York hospital to stop delivering babies as staff quit over vaccine rules
- Covid passports: what are European countries doing?
- See all our coronavirus coverage
In the US, a Republican governor has said she will appeal a temporary order by a federal judge allowing schools in Iowa to make face masks mandatory amid coronavirus.
Kim Reynolds, governor of Iowa, tweeted:
We will appeal and exercise every legal option we have to uphold state law and defend the rights and liberties afforded to any American citizen protected by our constitution.
More from the UK on the vaccination of 12-15-year-olds:
Prof Anthony Harnden, deputy chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), has admitted that varying advice on vaccinating 12-15-year-olds will cause “uncertainty, hesitation and debate” for families.
What we tried to do right the way through the pandemic as a committee is to be open and honest with the public and give them the best advice possible…
I think the public in the end will appreciate our honesty and I think they will also appreciate the CMOs’ perspective, and the Government offering them choice.