Conservatives on social media railed against the news of right-wing FOX News host Dan Bongino being permanently banned from YouTube due to spreading misinformation about the coronavirus pandemic.
Bogino hostsThe Dan Bongino Show on FOX Nation and Westwood One radio affiliates, and Unfiltered with Dan Bongino on FOX News.
On Wednesday, Google-owned Youtube permanently banned Bongino from the platform, saying he tried to evade previous suspension. The video streaming website added that any accounts associated with the conservative commentator will be taken down and that he won’t be able to make anymore new channels in the future.
The streaming platform also said Bongino repeatedly broke the rules on posting COVID-19 misinformation.
Conservatives spoke out about the ban on Twitter, with some accusing YouTube of media censorship.
“YouTube’s loss. At least now we all know it’s the Communist echo chamber they always wanted to be but never could admit to being. Subscribe to @dbongino’s Rumble channel: https://rumble.com/Bongino,” conservative commentator Jeremy Frankel tweeted.
“@YouTube banned @dbongino for speaking the truth! The problem is they just don’t want you to hear it…… The End!” tweeted Graham Allen, a conservative U.S. army veteran and congressional candidate looking to unseat rep. Tom Rice in South Carolina May.
Allen, who also launched his own right-wing platform, is endorsed by conservative figures Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk.
Brent Bozell is President of Media Research Center News Busters, which according to its Twitter page, works in “Exposing And Combating Liberal Media Bias 24/7”. He said Bongino’s ban was a result of this bias.
“Now YouTube has permanently banned Dan Bonginoâ€”one of the most popular conservative stars around. Yet, the news media still pretend there’s no censorship of the right. Conservatives better wake up. The press never will,” Bozell tweeted.
The Bongino Channel, which uploads full episodes of his weekday show, has over two million subscribers.
Earlier this month, Bongino was given a strike and a week-long suspension from YouTube for saying in one of his videos that masks were useless in stopping the spread of the coronavirus. He had threatened to leave YouTube before the recent ban.
Bongino had around 870,000 subscribers on the platform but has over two million on Rumble, a video platform popular with right-wing figures who claim tech companies are censoring them.
YouTube has had a strict policy against posting false or misleading information about COVID-19 and vaccines since the beginning of the pandemic. Last September, it took down several accounts of anti-vaccine influencers, after research revealed that the platform played a role in the growth of vaccine skeptism.
Newsweek has contacted Bongino for comment.