The European Commission on Thursday proposed four European flagship defence projects – including a counter-drone system and a plan to fortify the eastern border – as part of a drive to get the continent ready to defend itself by 2030.
The proposals, in a defence policy “roadmap”, reflect fears fuelled by the war in Ukraine that Russia may attack an EU member in the coming years, and calls by US President Donald Trump for Europe to do more for its own security.
“Danger will not disappear even when the war in Ukraine ends. It is clear we need to toughen our defences against Russia,” European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas told a news conference.
The Commission said two “flagships” were particularly urgent – the European Drone Defence Initiative, previously known as a “drone wall”, and Eastern Flank Watch, which aims to “fortify the EU’s Eastern borders “across land, air and sea”.
“Drones are already redefining warfare. Having drone defences is no longer optional for anyone,” Kallas told journalists, adding that the bloc had no choice but to build up its anti-drone defences against Russia. “Today we propose a new anti-drone system to be fully operational by the end of 2027.”
One of your browser extensions seems to be blocking the video player from loading. To watch this content, you may need to disable it on this site.
The Commission, the European Union‘s executive body, said both projects should have initial capacity by the end of next year. The drone project should be fully functional a year later and “flank watch” should reach that status at the end of 2028.
It also proposed a European Air Shield, to defend against missiles and other airborne threats, and a European Space Shield, to protect European space assets and services.
Leaders of the EU’s 27 member governments will decide whether to endorse the flagship proposals and to agree on who runs projects that get the green light.
(FRANCE 24 with Reuters, AFP)
Discover more from PressNewsAgency
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.