My family love their sweet treats and weekends are all about baking in our household. Sunday’s are family lunch days and there is always some form of dessert. Today I am sharing my super easy meringue recipe.
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that meringue can be used to create a variety of other desserts. You can use it as a creative base for toppings, for Pavlova and Eton mess, or for decoration such as meringue bark. The list of options is endless.
Lets have a look at the magic ingredients to make these little crunchy favourites:
- Egg whites – separated and this forms the base of the meringue
- Castor sugar – this forms that delicious outside crisp and sweetness
- Cornstarch – the smooth, shiny mixture and marshmallow texture comes from
- Salt – seasoning to balance out everything, it actually enhances the vanilla essence
- Vanilla essence – because who doesn’t love a little vanilla deliciousness.
- Lemon juice – the secret ingredient to combine it all together
This content has been created as part of our freelancer relief programme. We are supporting journalists and freelance writers impacted by the economic slowdown caused by #lockdownlife.
If you are a freelancer looking to contribute to The South African, read more here.