Hundreds forced to isolate until January after WA records five COVID-19 cases

Western Australia has recorded five new local cases of COVID-19, while venues have been restricted to only seated service, as authorities race to contain a COVID-19 outbreak.

Hundreds of people who went to a music event have been directed to go into isolation until January 3 after a positive case attended on Sunday morning.

Some people in Perth are isolating after a potential COVID-19 exposure in Northbridge. (Getty)

All nightclubs were ordered to close and masks were mandated indoors in Western Australia from 6pm yesterday.

Mr McGowan has today announced all licensed hospitality venues will only be allowed to provide seated service.

He said the restriction would allow Christmas lunches and dinners, but would impact service at pubs and bars.

The case which sparked the outbreak was an unvaccinated 25-year-old backpacker who travelled into the state from Queensland 12 days ago, and is originally from France.

Mr McGowan said advice from the Australian Border Force was that the man arrived in Australia before the onset of the pandemic, on January 7, 2020.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said only seated service would be permitted in licensed venues. (Nine)

Mr McGowan said the man entered WA on December 12, before it was mandatory to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter the state.

“At the time, Queensland was set as a very low-risk jurisdiction as they had virtually no COVID in that state which meant people entering WA from Queensland were not required to be vaccinated at that point in time.”

Mr McGowan said the five new cases today, of which at least two were not vaccinated, had been recorded as of 9am after 10,267 tests were taken yesterday.

He said more positives cases were expected to be discovered.

The new cases include a close contact of the backpacker, who also attended the Mess Hall event on Sunday, December 19.

The other three cases are casual contacts of backpacker who also attended the event and did not know the backpacker.

Connections Nightclub is an exposure site. (Google Maps)

The fifth was announce mid-way through the premier’s COVID-19 update and no other details are known.

Mr McGowan said anyone who attended the event had to get tested and self-quarantine until January 3.

WA Police have locked down the Fremantle Old Fire Station Hostel, where about 100 of 400 attendees at the event have been staying.

Mr McGowan said the hostel was not suitable to quarantine in so the attendees would all be provided with more suitable accommodation.

A number of new exposure sites across Perth have been published on WA.gov.au.

WA changes its classifications for entry from Queensland and South Australia

Mr McGowan has this afternoon announced that Queensland and South Australia will be declared ‘high risk’ zones as of 12.01am on Christmas Day due to their escalating COVID-19 situations.

Under the ‘high risk’ setting, travel to WA from Queensland or SA will be limited to approved travellers only.

He has taken to social media to urge all Western Australians in Queensland or SA to “come home now”.

Source by [author_name]