The Philippines said on Wednesday that it has yet to receive a notification from the Kuwaiti government about the alleged suspension of all entry and work visas for Filipinos.
“The Department of Migrant Workers has yet to receive any official communication regarding the alleged suspension of visa issuance by the Kuwaiti government for Filipino workers,” DMW spokesman Toby Nebrida said in a statement sent to reporters. on Wednesday.
The Kuwait Times reported on Wednesday that Kuwait’s Interior Minister Sheikh Talal Al-Khaled Al-Sabah ordered the suspension due to the Philippines’ alleged breach of a bilateral labor agreement with the Gulf country. Citing unnamed sources, the report noted that Manila “has breached the conditions and provisions” of the agreement.
A separate Gulf Times report said the suspension would only be lifted once Manila complied with the labor pact.
The 2018 labor agreement was signed by both countries after the Philippines banned the deployment of its workers to Kuwait. That year, Filipina domestic worker Joanna Demafelis was found dead in her employer’s freezer.
The DMW said it is considering revising the pact after the murder of another Filipina domestic worker earlier this year.