Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, on Saturday 6 June, announced that the confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa have risen to 45 973.Â Â
This is an increase of 2 539, as the total number of confirmed cases stood at 43 434 on Friday 5 June.Â
Mkhize announced an updated death toll of 952. This is an increase of 44 as it stood at 908 on Friday 5 June.Â
A total of 850 871 tests have been conducted to date with 30 196 tests done in the last 24 hours. There have been 24 258 recoveries which translates to a recovery rate of 52.8%.
Latest COVID-19 cases by province as of Saturday 6 June
The following confirmed COVID-19 cases have been detected in each province as of Saturday:Â
- Eastern Cape â€“ 5 629 cases
- Free State â€“ 348 cases;Â
- Gauteng â€“ 5 626 cases;Â
- KwaZulu-Natal â€“ 3 016 cases;Â
- Limpopo â€“ 216 cases;Â
- Mpumalanga â€“ 181 cases;Â
- North West â€“ 468 cases;Â
- Northern Cape â€“ 105 cases; andÂ
- Western Cape â€“ 30 379 cases
- Unknown â€“ five cases.
This comes to a total of 45 973 confirmed cases.Â
The Western Cape is still the COVID-19 epicentre with the most positive cases in the country.Â
COVID-19 death toll by province as of Saturday
The following confirmed COVID-19-related deaths have been detected in each province as of Saturday:Â
- Eastern Cape â€“ 101 deaths;
- Free State â€“ nine deaths;
- Gauteng â€“ 47 deaths;
- KwaZulu-Natal â€“ 61 deaths;
- Limpopo â€“ three deaths;
- Mpumalanga â€“ 0 deaths;
- North West â€“ one death;Â
- Northern Cape â€“ one death;
- Western Cape â€“ 729 deaths.Â
Latest recoveries by provinceÂ
Mkhize announced the latest COVID-19 recoveries as follows:Â
- Eastern Cape â€“ 2 666 recoveries;
- Free State â€“ 152 recoveries;
- Gauteng â€“ 2 344 recoveries;
- KwaZulu-Natal â€“ 1 378 recoveries;
- Limpopo â€“ 158 recoveries;
- Mpumalanga â€“ 94 recoveries;
- North West â€“ 73 recoveries;
- Northern Cape â€“ 38 recoveries; and
- Western Cape â€“ 17 355 recoveries.
MKHIZE TO DISTRIBUTE VENTILATORS IN THE WESTERN CAPE
Minister of Health Zweli Mkhize, on Saturday 6 June, received 20 ventilators and handed it over to the Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital in Johannesburg.
The ventilators, used in South Africaâ€™s fight against the COVID-19, form part of the first batch of 50 donated by the United States of America through USAID. The US has pledged 1 000 ventilators in total, valued at about R500 000 each.
â€œWe have already decided to take a portion of this first batch [of ventilators] and serve it to the Western Cape,â€ said Mkhize.Â
Mkhize said the Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital is a historic monument and a key in South Africaâ€™s fight against the pandemic.
COVID-19 GLOBAL STATISTICS
At the time of publishing, there was 6 923 252 COVID-19 cases globally. There were 400 246 deaths and a total of 3 389 204 people had recovered.
The United States of America still has the most number of cases at 1 977 586. Over a 100 000 people have died â€” 111 772 to be exact. A total of 739 724 people have recovered.
Brazil came in second behind the United States with 651 980 cases. There have been 35 211 deaths and 302 084 people have recovered.
This is a developing story, updates to followÂ