Kim Jong-un’s ambitious plan to make North Korea a holiday destination appears to be dwindling as even tourists from Russia refuse to jet off to the destination.
Wonsan-Kalma Beach Resort, which was opened by the dictator a year ago, became a cornerstone of an initiative to make the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) a holiday hotspot.
The resort, it is understood, was modelled after Benidorm in Spain, a popular holiday destination among Britons.
North Korean officials allegedly went to Benidorm in 2017 as part of a research visit.
However, the details of their fact-finding trip to the Costa Blanca remain unknown.
The North Korean holiday development, which opened in July 2025, aimed to entice international visitors to enjoy the sandy coastline, as well as entertainment facilities such as shopping malls and restaurants.
Located on the east coast, facing the Sea of Japan, Wonsan-Kalma beach resort could accommodate 20,000 visitors.
However, the number of foreign holidaymakers has fallen drastically short of this figure.
Russians, the only foreign nationals who are allowed to visit North Korea, descended upon the resort when it opened last July.
North Koreans enjoying the Myongsasimni Water Park in the Wonsan-Kalma resort
|
GETTY
Influencers from Russia uploaded videos of their time at the brand-new resort, with footage initially going viral on social media.
Anastasia Samsonova was one of the first visitors to the resort last year.
She and a group of 14 other Russians were told they could not photograph any of the construction sites and were escorted by guards and guides, following a strict itinerary.
Unlike Benidorm in the height of summer, Ms Samsonova said the resort was almost empty but stressed she “enjoyed a vacation without people”.
The North Korean resort is understood to be modelled after popular holiday spot Benidorm, located on the eastern coast of Spain
|
GETTY
She said: “Every day the beach was cleaned and levelled perfectly. Everything was immaculate.
“The loungers were absolutely new, everything spotless.
“The entrance to the sea was very gentle, so yes, it really was a very good beach.”
A week-long trip from Russia to North Korea, including an excursion to the Wonsan-Kalma resort, costs around £1,300.
The average cost of a holiday to Benidorm from the UK is under £700 and a visit to the Spanish coast would not include round-the-clock monitoring from guides and guards.
Visitor numbers from the Russian Federation to Wonsan-Kalma have dropped in the first half of this year to just 3,600.
This is a 10 per cent decrease from the same period in 2025.
Any other foreign national is not allowed to visit the Benidorm-esque resort, with tourist visas banned.
Kim Jong-un briefly lifted the ban – which has been ongoing for the past six years – in February 2025.
However, it was quickly reinstated just weeks later.
The restriction has caused frustration among some British holiday agents.
Simon Cockrell, general manager at Koryo Tours, told the Telegraph: “We are still receiving a significant amount of enquiries about North Korea.”
The British-owned tour company operates in Beijing, making a name for itself by running tours to the DPRK, but also extends to other niche destinations such as Iraq and Afghanistan.
Wonsan-Kalma resort was built in an area previously used by the North Korean military for ballistic missile tests and live fire exercises.
After deciding to redevelop the area, construction began in 2018, with an opening proposed for October 2019, but this was pushed back significantly due to construction delays and the Covid pandemic.
Six years behind schedule, on June 24, a grand opening of the resort was held with Kim Jong-un and the Russian ambassador to North Korea, Alexandr Matsegora.
Tourism in North Korea has never been a booming industry, but it was possible to visit the mysterious country a decade ago.
Companies like Koryo were able to book tours in the DPRK, including train excursions and staying with local families.
However, as the pandemic decimated the tourism industry in some countries, North Korea’s economy was left relatively unscathed.
Its leadership decided it was not worthwhile having foreign visitors, ultimately opting to restrict travel visas significantly.
The Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to North Korea.
Discover more from PressNewsAgency
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.