The European Council will not meet in person on June 19, a spokesperson for President Charles Michel said today.
The decision suggests the bloc will not reach an agreement this month on the â‚¬1.1 trillion seven-year budget and a â‚¬750 billion four-year recovery fund proposed by the European Commission.
â€œFollowing consultations @eucopresident will convene the June 19 #EUCO via videoconference,” the spokesperson tweeted. â€œMultiannual Financial Framework & Recovery Fund are on the agenda. This will be a thorough preparation for a next summit at a later date which should if possible be a physical meeting,â€ he said.
Officials say that an agreement on the final shape of the budget plans is only possible if leaders meet in person. Diplomats have indicated that a summit in person could take place in July.
Michel has been speaking on the phone with leaders over the past days about the budget plan, including with Angela Merkel. The German chancellor said previously a deal would not come in June but should come by the fall in time for the budget to begin from January 1.