Man allegedly threatened to kill ex-partner for refusing to hand over half her benefits, court told

A man allegedly threatened to stab and kill his ex-partner for refusing to hand over half her benefits, a court heard today.

olice claimed Kieran McGlone subjected the woman to 70 phone calls and text messages in a 48-hour period, including a warning to “get out of Belfast”.

McGlone, 43, and of no fixed abode, is charged with persistent improper use of a public electronic communications network to cause anxiety.

He also faces further counts of harassment and threats to kill.

All of the alleged offences were committed between October 12 and 13.

Opposing bail at Belfast Magistrates’ Court, a PSNI officer said: “The injured party reported that the defendant had contacted her, asking her for half of her benefits.

“She refused and he (allegedly) told her ‘You better get out of Belfast, you’re f****** dead’.”

McGlone then continued with a series of threatening communications, it was claimed.

“He indicated that he was going to stab her neck,” the constable contended.

“In total… there were around 70 calls and text messages.”

Defence barrister Caitriona Keenan argued that no threats were made in two calls witnessed by officers.

She added that some messages had been deleted in conversations shown to police.

McGlone was granted bail to live at an approved address, and barred from contacting his ex-partner or entering part of north Belfast.

As District Judge Steven Keown adjourned the case for four weeks, the defendant told him: “I will stick by the law, I promise.”

Download the Belfast Telegraph App

Get quick and easy access to the latest Northern Ireland news, sport, business and opinion with the Belfast Telegraph App.




Get it on Google Play

Source link