HomeAfricaMan killed when he grabbed onto fence - exposed to electricity cables

Man killed when he grabbed onto fence – exposed to electricity cables

A man was killed on Saturday when he slipped and grabbed onto a wire fence that became electrified due to exposed electricity cables contacting the fence. 

THE MAN WAS WALKING ALONG THE PATH WHEN HE SLIPPED 

According to Reaction Unit SA (RUSA) spokesperson Prem Balram, the 23-year-old man was electrocuted on Saxon Street in Belvedere, Tongaat. 

“Residents contacted RUSA at approximately 12:39 requesting assistance for the unresponsive man. Reaction Officers and paramedics were immediately dispatched to the scene,” he said. 

PARAMEDICS FOUND THE MAN UNRESPONSIVE 

Balram said on arrival, they found the man lying on a pathway. He showed no signs of life and was declared dead on the scene by paramedics. 

Photo: RUSA

“According to witnesses, the man was walking along the pathway when he slipped. He allegedly grabbed onto a wire fence which became electrified due to exposed electricity cables making contact with the fence. He held onto the fence until he became unresponsive,” Balram said. 

The 23-year-old man is a resident of Belvedere, Tongaat.

ANOTHER DEADLY ELECTROCUTION EARLIER THIS WEEK 

Meanwhile, earlier this week, a couple died after being electrocuted while hanging out the washing at their Mduma Street in Soweto on Sea home on Monday.

ALSO READ: Soweto couple dies after being electrocuted

According to police spokesperson Captain Gerda Swart, a neighbour heard a scream on Monday.

“It is alleged that on Monday, 29 November 2021 at about 15:40, the couple, Lingomso Cose (30) and her husband, Mphakamise Cose (34) were busy hanging out the washing at their Mduma Street in Soweto on Sea home when the neighbour heard a scream.

A NEIGHBOUR HEARD A SCREAM

“It is further alleged that the washing was hung on a wire that was illegally connected to a municipal electrical pole,” Swart said.

ALSO READ: Two die, 29 in hospital in suspected food poisoning outbreak at funeral

Source link