A missile struck a Yemeni military base in Marib province Tuesday, killing a son and a nephew of the Saudi-backed military’s chief of staff.
Yemeni government sources who spoke to Reuters blamed the attack on Houthi rebels, who did not immediately claim responsibility.
Yemen’s Houthi rebels have continued to press their attack toward oil-rich Marib despite a United Nations-backed cease-fire declared last month. The Saudi Arabia-led coalition backing Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi also continued its air campaign in recent weeks against the Houthis in response to missile attacks. The cease-fire expired earlier this week.
Yemen’s chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Sagheer bin Aziz, is said to have survived Tuesday’s strike, but seven other people were killed, including one of his nephews and a son. Both the nephew and son were officers, Reuters said.
With no rollback of Houthi gains in sight, Saudi Arabia appears to be seeking a negotiated exit to the war, but the UN-led peace initiative shows little sign of momentum.
Representatives of the Hadi government and the Southern Transitional Council, two of the largest Yemeni groups in the Saudi-led coalition, are in Riyadh for talks after fighting again broke out between the two partners last month.
Already the Middle East’s poorest nation, Yemen is facing a wave of coronavirus infections with little intact medical infrastructure and reduced resources available to international organizations present in the country. The UN has said Yemenis are facing the world’s worst humanitarian catastrophe. The country’s civil war recently entered its sixth year.