The number of registered voters in Pakistan has increased by 21 million in a four-year period, according to published data by the Election Commission of Pakistan on Tuesday.
Data shows that the total number of registered voters in the country in 2018 was nearly 106 million, with the count rising to around 127 million as of July 25 this year.
According to the latest figures, the number of female voters has increased from 46.7 million in 2018 to 58.5 million, representing around 46 percent of the total registered voters. Male voters, on the other hand, represent 54% or 68.5 million of the total voters.
Meanwhile, an analysis of the data by age shows that young people, between 18 and 35 years old, represent around 57.1 million, representing 45 percent of those eligible to vote. The same percentage for the 2018 elections was 43.8 pieces.
The elderly (56 years and older) who have witnessed the country’s politics for a considerable time account for nearly 24 million or 18.9 percent of the total voter count.
A breakdown of the data by district shows that Punjab residents make up the largest share of eligible voters: 72.3 million or 56.9 percent of all voters.
Sindh comes second, contributing 26.6 million voters, which is 21 percent of the total.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which now also includes the erstwhile Federally Administered Tribal Areas, is not far behind with nearly 21.7 million potential voters, accounting for nearly 17.1% of the voter count.
Residents of Balochistan account for 4.2 percent of all voters (5.3 million), while Islamabad has just over a million voters, a mere fraction of the total.
The publication of statistical data comes a day later. arose that the preliminary delimitation of electoral districts for the elections is expected to be completed by September 26, and the ECP expressed satisfaction with its pace.
On September 1, the ECP had Announced shorten the deadlines for the delimitation exercise by 14 days to complete the process on November 30, instead of the planned December 14.
PCE sources, who had previously hinted at the possibility of general elections somewhere in the country Half of Februaryafter the development said it could pave the way for elections in the last week of January.