Peshawar imambargah suicide attack toll increases to 62 | The Express Tribune


PESHAWAR:

At least five more people, who were injured in the Peshawar imambargah suicide attack, succumbed to their injuries on Saturday, taking the death toll of the horrific attack to 62 dead.

Confirming the increase in the death toll, the spokesperson of Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) added that multiple victims are still in critical condition and the hospital is treating 37 people for blast-related injuries.

The Counter-terrorism Department (CTD) of the provincial capital also registered the case for the suicide attack. More than 150 people were injured.

The imambargah in Peshawar’s Kocha Risaldar was targetted by multiple attackers, one of whom ran inside the main praying area and detonated his suicide vest.

According to Express News, a statement – at the instigation of the Station House Office (SHO) of Khan Raziq police station – was sent to the CTD regarding the suicide attack.

The statement said that the case had been registered at the police station on the complaint of Khan Raziq’s SHO, and terrorism provisions were included in the first information report (FIR).

The SHO had checked the security of the mosque and went to a sidestreet when he heard gunshots. When the SHO returned to the mosque the explosion had already taken place and police personnel were injured, added the statement.

It further said that the assailant was in black clothes, on foot and was carrying a pistol which he fired first at the police officers. The attackers have been charged with murder, attempted murder and terrorism.

Funeral prayers of martyrs

The funeral prayers of at least 25 martyrs were offered in the provincial capital and were attended by a large number of people from across the city.

Collective funeral prayers of 14 martyrs were offered at Kohati Chowk.

Read Qureshi condemns Peshawar blast

Funeral prayers for five other victims were offered outside Kohati Gate, while the funeral prayers of two of the deceased were offered at Hussainiya Hall, Peshawar.

The militant Islamic State (IS) in a statement claimed responsibility for the deadly bomb blast. It had claimed the attack had killed at least 50 and injured more than 200 people.



Source link

Latest

Newspaper headlines: PM ‘hit by backlash’ and airlines axe more flights

Several of Saturday's papers lead with the fallout from...

2nd Tourist In 3 Days Is Gored By Bison At Yellowstone

It was the third attack in less than a...

AFL 2022 round 16 LIVE updates: Swans make strong start against Dons in Parker’s 250th

Swans chief executive Tom Harley has ruled out any...

Horoscopes for 02 July 2022 – Saturday

Are you prepared for the day? Do you know...

US expands interview waiver eligibility for Pakistanis

ISLAMABAD    –   The United States Mission in Pakistan has announced the expansion of interview waiver eligibility at the US Embassy in Islamabad and the...

Semi-automated offside system to be used at 2022 World Cup

FIFA announced Friday that semi-automated offside technology will be used at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. World football’s governing body said in a...

Supreme Court CM Punjab verdict: Hamza Shahbaz, Pervez Elahi welcome ruling

LAHORE: Punjab Chief Minister Hamza Shahbaz Friday said that in the last three months several constitutional crises were witnessed which can place the province...