Race 2 â€“ 2PM DRINKWISE PLATE (1250m)
2. California August is proven on a heavy track and despite being first-up this looks a winnable race for him. Fitter for winning a synthetic trial recently. Raced well without winning last time in, has the draw to be handy and is entitled to be in the finish.
Dangers: 10. Tolerate hasnâ€™t raced since an eye-catching debut at Grafton back in April. But sheâ€™s trialled strongly at Canterbury on a heavy track a couple of weeks ago and is one to keep an eye on. Drawn out but imagine she goes back and plays for luck. 9. Irish Angel was a beaten favourite here first-up then went to Kembla on a heavy track and finished fifth at $1.80. She did step away slowly there and made her run on the inside which was a no-go zone. So inclined to be forgiving of that. 4. Royal Marine showed some ability with placings last winter behind Lucicello and Academy then poor in only summer start. Narrow winner of a Rosehill trial last week, blinkers go on and heâ€™s been gelded so everything has been thrown at him to produce his best. Watch betting for a push.
How to play it: California August win; Quinella 2,9,10
Odds & Evens: Evens
Race 3 â€“ 2:35PM RANVET SALKAVITE HANDICAP (1900m)
5. Lady Highly is coming along well this time in and she should just about be at her top after her closing second to Milunka here two weeks ago. Extra trip a big plus and proved herself in the heavy last time. Barrier one could be a plus as well. Good chance.
Dangers: 2. Monsieur Sisu was ridden differently to what weâ€™re used to seeing here last time and he was game after tracking wide throughout under a big weight. Probable leader here and if he gets control, we know how much he loves the wet, he could pinch it. 1. Our Gravano has been sound in two runs back on good tracks and does tend to prefer a wet surface. Worked home well behind Elaborate at Newcastle second-up, and that form has held up in town, and he can be expected to run well. 4. Monasterio disappointed at Kensington last week but there was some merit in his previous effort on a heavy track here a week earlier. Blinkers go back on so heâ€™s entitled to one more chance.
How to play it: Lady Highly each-way
Odds & Evens: Split
Race 4 â€“ 3:10PM SKY RACING ACTIVE HANDICAP (1550m)
8. Mummentum sets up a lot better here than she did over this course two weeks ago where she settled back and finished midfield, and sheâ€™s 2kg better off here compared to the winner. Drawn to race handier and with that heavy track run under her belt if she can take up a position sheâ€™s a good each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Chalmers can mix his form at times but when he strikes a wet track he usually runs well. Did just that here two weeks ago chasing home Chocolatier. Not drawn as well to get that soft run but has to be in the mix. 7. Milunka had things made to order for her scoring first-up over this course and she can only be fitter. The barrier makes it a different kettle of fish so itâ€™ll be interesting to see where she ends up in the run. Under the odds but a genuine chance. 3. Mubariz might be a risk on a heavy track looking at his first-up failure and two subsequent improved efforts on good ground. If he does get through it heâ€™s in the finish somewhere, interesting that James McDonald sticks with him over Milunka too.
How to play it: Mummentumn each-way
Odds & Evens: Split
Race 5 â€“ 3:45PM YES YES YES @ COOLMORE AUSTRALIA HANDICAP (1100m)
3. Zaniah is the best horse in the race and while sheâ€™s yet to see a heavy track she is a half-sister to Deep Field and Shooting To Win so youâ€™d back her to be okay. Her two trials have been strong, she won first-up last prep and is versatile. Has to be the horse to beat.
Dangers: 1. Intrepidacious will find this a bit easier than last start in the Deniseâ€™s Joy and she had a spin around Canterbury in a heavy track trial since that run. Good record at this track, drawn one and races handy so she gets the chance to improve. 8. Dâ€™oro Rain is resuming and his record says heâ€™s more a second-up horse but he has performed well in the wet which he didnâ€™t strike last time in. Took on open class horses in his recent heavy track trial and was okay, nice winner of his first trial back. Keep in mind. 7. Lakia led all the way to win first-up here back in August then ran well behind Subpoenaed before failing at her last run. Trials have been fine, small query on a heavy track but probably attempts to lead here and can give a sight.
How to play it: Zaniah win; Trifecta 3/1,7,8/1,7,8
Odds & Evens: Odds
Race 6 â€“ 4:20PM EXCEEDANCE @ VINERY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)
12. Van Giz is bursting to win a race and she might have the right scenario to get it done this time. No luck at all at Scone then on a heavy at Rosehill last time tried hard behind Moâ€™s Crown, who had full control in front. Only has to hold that form, and from gate two should be right behind what could be a good speed. Plenty to like.
Dangers: 10. Quantico is a huge watch. Looked very smart winning at his second start then had excuses when odds-on and beaten here back in January. Trials have been on the quiet side and that last start effort was on a soft 7 so there are question marks but keep very safe. 8. Lillemor led all the way and just managed to hold them off scoring here two weeks ago and will carry the same weight after the claim. Likely to attempt similar tactics and she will give a good sight, though could have competition up front this time. 4. Heâ€™s A Hotshot raced consistently last time in and while he didnâ€™t win one he only missed a place once. Looked good winning a trial here on heavy ground, likely to press forward and if he finds a spot can figure in the finish.
How to play it: Van Giz win; Trifecta 12/4,8,10/4,8,10
Odds & Evens: Evens
Tips supplied by Racing NSW.
Full form and race replays available at racingnsw.com.au