RIL, M&M bid for incentives under govt’s Rs 18k-cr battery scheme: Report



Indian conglomerate Reliance Industries, South Korea’s and automaker are among that have submitted bids under the country’s Rs 18,000-crore billion battery scheme, two sources told Reuters.


India last year finalised an incentive program to encourage to invest in the local manufacturing of batteries as it looks to establish a domestic supply chain for clean transport and build storage for renewable energy.





Friday is the last day to submit technical bids.


Softbank Group-backed Ola Electric, engineering conglomerate Larsen & Toubro and battery makers Amara Raja and Exide have also submitted bids, the sources said.


None of the named by the sources immediately responded to requests for comment.


India wants to establish a total of 50 gigawatt hours (Gwh) of battery storage capacity over five years, which it expects will attract direct investment of about $6 billion.


To qualify for the incentives, companies must set up at least 5 Gwh of storage capacity and meet certain local content conditions, all of which would require a minimum investment of more than $850 million.


Around 10 companies have submitted bids totalling close to 100 Gwh, the sources said.


India was also encouraging global companies such as Tesla Inc, Samsung, LG Energy, Northvolt and Panasonic to invest.


Clean auto technology is a key part of India’s strategy for cutting pollution in major cities and reducing oil dependence.


But electric vehicles (EVs) currently make up a fraction of total sales in the country mainly due to their high price as batteries are imported.


The South Asian country wants electric cars to make up 30% of private car sales by 2030 and for electric motorcycles and scooters to make up 40% of such sales, driving demand for batteries which currently contribute about 35% to 40% of the total vehicle cost.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor



Source link

Latest

Heavy Rain Lashes Mumbai; MeT Dept Predicts Occasional Intense Showers in Next 24 Hours

Last Updated: August 16, 2022, 14:52 ISTMumbai: Vehicles move through waterlogged street following monsoon rains, in Mumbai, Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2022. (PTI Photo/Kunal Patil)...

Rafael Nadal to miss Davis Cup group stage, Novak Djokovic leads Serbia London

Carlos Alcaraz will lead Spain against Novak Djokovic’s Serbia next month in the Davis Cup group stage after Rafael Nadal wasn’t named to the...