Friday, May 22, 2026
HomeBreaking NewsSouth Korea landslides, floods kill more than 20

South Korea landslides, floods kill more than 20

SEOUL, July 15 (Reuters) – Twenty-two people have been killed, 14 are missing and thousands have been evacuated in South Korea as of Saturday, according to ministry data such as third day of torrential rains caused landslides and the overflow of a dam.

As of 6:00 p.m. (0900 GMT), 4,763 people had been evacuated across the country, according to the Ministry of Interior and Security, when water overflowed a dam in North Chungcheong province on Saturday morning.

Evacuation orders from local governments covered more than 7,000 people at various times, according to provincial authorities.

The count is expected to rise as more heavy rain is expected on the Korean peninsula on Sunday, the Korea Meteorological Administration forecast.

Korea Railroad Corp said it would halt all slow trains and some bullet trains, while other bullet trains may be delayed due to slower operation, as landslides, track flooding and falling rocks threaten safety.

A slow-moving train derailed late Friday when a landslide dumped dirt and sand onto the tracks in North Chungcheong province, the Ministry of Transportation said. The engineer was injured, but there were no passengers on board.

In a meeting with government agencies on Saturday, Prime Minister Han Duck-soo called on the military to actively join the rescue efforts, working with government officials to mobilize equipment and manpower.

Reporting by Joyce Lee; Edited by Michael Perry and William Mallard

Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source link


Discover more from PressNewsAgency

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

- Advertisment -