- Warning â€“ the video featured in this article shows a crash that claimed eight lives in Jozini on Wednesday 11 June, caused in a drink-drive incident. This footage may be unsettling for some.
CCTV footage of a devastating road accident on Wednesday has been shared on social media. A truck driver slammed into oncoming traffic, killing eight people in the process. The drink-drive incident has shocked the Jozini community in KwaZulu-Natal, and the sheer horror of the incident is compounded by the video.
Latest from the Jozini crash
The crash, which happened shortly after midday, was summarised by the following:
- The driver of an articulated truck lost control and crashed into five vehicles.
- The pile-up included two buses, one mini-bus taxi, one bakkie, and a Toyota Condor.
- The truck driver was detained by police and he tested positive for having high amounts of alcohol in his system.
- As well as the abhorrent death toll of eight, a further 32 people were injured in the horror Jozini crash.
Watch the Jozini horror crash here
CCTV footage showing the Famous Jozini Fatal Crash happened yesterday 8 death 32 injured, Driver was under the influence of Alcohol Bheki Cele sesiryt Ngotshwala eMkhanyakude can u Ban it this side pic.twitter.com/6skP0Lt3ju
â€” Musa Mavin Zikhali💙 (@ZikhaliMavin) June 11, 2020
KZN MEC laments drink-drive crash
Local authorities were left seething with the truck driver, who they confirmed was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the multi-vehicle pile-up. KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Transport, Community Safety, and Liaison Bheki Ntuli expressed his immense frustration for the lives lost and damage caused by this drink-drive tragedy.
â€œI was appalled when I learned that the truck driver is suspected to have been driving under the influence of alcohol â€“ which could be the cause of this ghastly accident that resulted in eight fatalities.â€
â€œAlcohol has contributed immensely to bad driver behavior which leads to traffic violations, road crashes, and the increasing road death toll. The blatant disregard for the rules of the road is to blame for the deaths of many breadwinners on our roads, which is a huge cost to the economy.â€