HomeCategoryWoodstock explosion: Both victims succumbed to their severe burn wounds

Woodstock explosion: Both victims succumbed to their severe burn wounds

The two men injured in the Woodstock explosion at the corner of Victoria and Plein Street on Thursday night, 22 September, died in hospital over the weekend. A preliminary investigation into the incident found that the blast was likely caused by a gas leak.

WOODSTOCK EXPLOSION VICTIMS PASS AWAY IN HOSPITAL

The two men were rushed to Groote Schuur hospital with 70% to 100% burn wounds on Thursday. South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi said both victims succumbed to their injuries.

“We can confirm that both victims are now declared deceased,” he said to The South African on Monday.

The Woodstock police have opened an inquest for further investigation.

A preliminary investigation by the City of Cape Town’s Fire and Rescue inspectors found two 48-kilogram gas cylinders at the scene, which were still intact.

It is believed that the gas was used for basic cooking purposes as a two-plate gas cooker was found nearby.

According to Community Fire Safety by-laws, the use of 48-kilogram gas bottles in a premises is strictly prohibited. The largest cylinder allowed is 19 kilograms and it must be installed and used correctly under a valid certificate of compliance.

The gas could have been ignited by one of the induction motors used to drive the refrigeration equipment in the eatery, said MayCo Member for Safety and Security, JP Smith.

As previously reported, the structural pillars and formwork of the building were undamaged by the blast due to the building’s design – the aluminium and glass fixed between the pillars were forced outwards and the built-up pressure easily escaped.

The popular takeaway shop next door to the explosion site suffered only smoke damage with slight damage to a dividing wall. Smith said there was no structural damage evident.

MORE ON THIS:



Source link

- Advertisment -