Fast bowling all-rounder Michael Neser has been named as Josh Hazlewood’s replacement in Australia’s squad for the World Test Championship final clash against India which kicks off at The Oval on June 7.
According to the International Cricket Council (ICC), Hazlewood has been ruled out of the main match due to his ongoing problem with his left Achilles tendon and left side. Neser, who has played two Tests and as many ODIs for Australia, was added to the WTC final squad after the Event Technical Committee approved his inclusion.
Hazlewood had also missed this ear’s tour of India due to a left Achilles tendon problem, delaying his arrival at the 2023 Indian Premier League (IPL). He then withdrew from the tournament after playing just three games. for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) due to a side issue.
Hazlewood had also missed most of the last two summers at home due to lateral strains. His absence now means that Neser and specialist pacemaker Scott Boland are in the running for the third pacer spot, teaming up with Captain Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc.
Chief selector George Bailey said Hazlewood should be available for selection for the Ashes’ first Test against England at Edgbaston, from 16 June.
“Josh came very, very close to getting the green light, but we are aware that our upcoming schedule means this is not a one-off test match for us,” Bailey was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au.
Injuries over the last two years have meant Hazlewood has played just four of Australia’s last 19 Test matches and has not featured in consecutive first-class games since early 2021. He was picked for the WTC final squad subject to heavy training loads.
He had told the ICC on May 31 that he hoped to be ready for the clash at The Oval and had even played a lot in Saturday’s training session.
On the other hand, Neser scored 311 runs and took 19 wickets, with scores of 123, 86 and 90 so far, which stands out from his time in the County Championship with Glamorgan. Although he was left out of Australia’s initial 17-man squad for the WTC and Ashes final, Neser and Sean Abbott were training with the Test side at Beckenham.
“Michael’s form at county has been solid and knowing he was going to be close allowed him to keep playing and for us to call him up. It’s a great strength to have him as part of the fast bowling group.”
“This will give Josh ideal preparation ahead of Edgbaston. With six Test matches in just over seven weeks, we will need all our fast-bowling assets,” added Bailey, the former Australia cricketer.
Australia Updated Squad: Pat Cummins (Captain), Scott Boland, Alex Carey (Keeper), Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Josh Inglis (Keeper), Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Todd Murphy, Michael Neser, Steve Smith (vice-captain), Mitchell Starc and David Warner
Reserve Players: Mitch Marsh, Matthew Renshaw
–IANOS
No
(Only the headline and image in this report may have been modified by Business Standard staff; all other content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Discover more from PressNewsAgency
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.